KHS recognizes Men’s Health Week and Men’s Health Month as great opportunities to heighten the awareness of preventable health problems and encourage early detection and treatment of disease among men and boys. June is Men’s Health Month and the week leading up to and including Father’s Day is Men’s Health Week. According to the Men’s Health Network, “This week gives health care providers, public policy makers, the media, and individuals an opportunity to encourage men and boys to seek regular medical advice and early treatment for disease and injury. “
Did You Know that the leading causes of death in males age 65 and over in the United States are:
- Heart Disease: 27.9%
- Cancer: 25.4%
- Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases: 6.8%
- Stroke: 5.1%
- Alzheimer’s Disease: 2.9%
- Diabetes: 2.9%
- Influenza & Pneumonia: 2.4%
- Unintentional Injuries: 2.4%
- Kidney Disease: 2.4%
- Parkinson’s Disease: 1.5%
(2009 data. Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Things Men Can Do:
- Get Moving. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Do yard work. Play a sport. Keep comfortable walking shoes handy at work and in the car. Most importantly, choose activities that you enjoy to stay motivated.
- Lead by example. Eat healthy, have regular checkups, get vaccinated, be smoke-free, prevent injuries, sleep well, and manage stress.
- Wear Blue to remind men of the importance of staying healthy.
- Stay up on the latest about men’s health at CDC by signing up for e-mail updates in the top right corner of the Men’s Health website.
- Eat Healthy. Start by taking small steps like saying no to super-sizing and yes to a healthy breakfast. Eat many different types of foods to get all the vitamins and minerals you need. Add at least one fruit and vegetable to every meal.
- Make Prevention a Priority. Many health conditions can be prevented or detected early with regular checkups from your healthcare provider. Regular screenings may include blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, prostate health and more.
(Information from the CDC and Men’s Health Network)
KHS offers the following products to support Men’s Health:
- Diabetic Footwear and Support Socks
- Lumbar Cushions
- Masculine-Style Canes
- Shoes for Osteoarthritis (OA)
- Vacuum Erection Devices (VEDs)
- Reclining Lift Chairs
A Happy Father’s Day to all fathers!